"We share God's inclusive and eternal love with everyone!"
Welcome to the “front door” of St. James! This website will tell you that we are an over 300 member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). As a Reconciling In Christ church, we celebrate and welcome all races, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities. Each Sunday we gather at 9:30am around a classic Lutheran liturgy, beautiful music and warm hospitality. We believe God is present as we gather and serve those in need beyond our doors.
Here’s how we share “God’s Inclusive Love:”
- Providing 122 units of low-income housing to those in need at our St. James Apartments
- Serving though our St. James Foot Care Ministry
- 130 children find a welcoming learning environment in our St. James Child Development Center
- Kids and adults explore Biblical stories that relate to daily life
- Bach Cantata Vespers, Jazz Vespers and Lutheran liturgy fill the air with music
- Pastoral care touches those at times of baptism, weddings, funerals and transition
- Feeding those on our streets each Tuesday and supporting Lutheran World Relief
- Following Christ on this site since 1890.
Join us, not to visit, but to be touched by God’s love.
Pastor David Knapp
Sunday Morning Worship with Holy CommunionEvery Sunday, 9:30am
Holy Communion in the Main Sanctuary with refreshments served in the Pioneer Chapel immediately following. Childcare provided 9:15am-12:15pm
Midweek EucharistEvery Wednesday, 12:00 Noon
We gather each Wednesday at Noon in the Pioneer Chapel for a half-hour Service of the Eucharist with Chrisse Roccaro (Pianist), Rose Clementi (Assisting Minister) and Pastor David. Then, join Pastor David each Wednesday for Bible Study in the St. James Library at 12:30pm. We explore the Bible’s themes for Advent preparation. Join us. So, remember to gather each Wednesday: at Noon for Eucharist Worship in Pioneer Chapel; and then at 12:30pm in the Library for Pastor’s Bible Study.
Jazz VespersSunday, December 15th, 5:00pm will feature Allan Mair on flute & alto flute.
Arrive at 4:50 for pre-Vespers music when Allan will be joined by our St. James house band: Mike Horsfall, piano; Laurent Nickel, bass; Brent Follis, drums; and Valarie Brown, cantor. Vespers service starts at 5:00pm. Freewill offering welcome. Reception for St. James Artist-of-the-Month follows the service, in the Pioneer Chapel. Come with friends!
Weather and WorshipSt. James will not cancel worship services due to inclement weather. If the streets look too bad, please don’t risk it. But if you come, we’ll be here with the doors open.
St. James has many opportunities to celebrate during this Advent and Christmas season. Consider inviting a friend to share in the special events of this season.
- Advent & Christmas Cleaning & Decorating: Saturday, December 7th, 9:00am …
Join us as we prepare St. James for the holidays. It’s always a fun way to get in the holiday mood. Cleaning and decorating start at 9:00am. There will be soup and bread for lunch!
- Contemplative Prayer – Wonder and Awe: Saturday, December 7th, 9:30-11:00am …
During Advent and Epiphany we will focus our hearts on the sense of wonder and amazement. Join us in the St. James Library. Consider walking the courtyard labyrinth beforehand at 9:00am.
- Lucia Sunday: December 15th, 9:30am …
We commemorate Lucia, a martyr of Syracuse who lived in 304 CE. We celebrate Lucia during a special church service and at coffee hour following.
- Jazz Vespers with Allan Mair: Sunday, December 15th, 5:00pm …
Our December Jazz Vesper features some familiar Christmas tunes played by our shining in-house jazz quartet and one of Portland’s jazz luminaries.
- Advent Labyrinth Walk – Winter Solstice and Return to Light: Saturday, December 21st, 5-7:00pm …
Celebrate the Winter Solstice with a labyrinth walk and silent meditation, followed by a time of reflection, song, and silence in the Pioneer Chapel.
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service: Tuesday, December 24th, 4:30pm …
Bring the whole family for this service of candlelight, Eucharist, and carol singing.
- Christmas Eve Feeding the Houseless: Tuesday, December 24th, 6:15pm …
We turn our songs to acts of care.
- Christmas Eve Candlelight Service: Tuesday, December 24th, 11:00pm …
This beautiful service, rich in carol singing, celebrates Christ’s birth among us. Music starts at 10:30pm.
- Christmas Day Service: Wednesday, December 25th, 10:00am …
A joyous service celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ with Communion and carols.
- Carols and Cookies: Sunday, December 29th, 11:00am …
Advent is over and we finally get to sing our favorite Christmas songs! This has become a popular event for members of St. James. And you don’t even need a hymnal to sing along!