"We share God's inclusive and eternal love with everyone!"“Do not be afraid, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you.” -Isaiah 41:10
From Pastor David:
WELCOME TO ST. JAMES!
This website serves as our “front door” to ministry in downtown Portland. We offer an array of options. As the impact of this pandemic subsides, we invite you to consider — what fits you?
- Join us for Sunday in-person Eucharist worship (9:30am with masks and social distancing), or participate via recorded video worship posted to our website each Sunday afternoon (Communications > Worship & Sermons).
- Feed those who live on our Portland streets five times a week by preparing food boxes, or donate to purchase food and needed supplies.
- Deepen your spiritual life with Saturday Contemplative Prayer via Zoom, or join our recorded Bible Study (3 series a year) or virtual Healing Prayer events.
- Help guide our St. James low-income Apartment ministry (122 units), or enroll your child at our St. James Child Development Center (infant through kindergarten-aged children). Presently over 70 children are enrolled.
- Share your creative imagination with our St. James Art Group, or offer your musical skills as our choir prepares to return.
- Meditate on classical music and meaningful Sunday liturgy, or enjoy our monthly Jazz Vespers services on YouTube.
- Jump onboard to live out your faith with acts of JUSTICE by exploring our embedded attitudes concerning race, gender and LGBTQ+ rights, or be hands-on with our Caring For Creation efforts.
- Partner with us to reach beyond our doors by supporting Lutheran World Relief’s efforts to bring the vaccine to all countries, or pack boxes of school/health kits to meet worldwide needs.
- Join us for the life-changing moments of baptism, at-home Sunday School, confirmation ministry, weddings, celebrations, and memorials; stay connected with Virtual Coffee Hour, Book Club, WELCA, or our Card Ministry; or sit down for a cup of coffee with Pastor David.
There are lots of options at St. James. What fits you as we follow the Risen-Christ?
–Pastor David Knapp
Worship ServicesWELCOME TO WORSHIP AT ST. JAMES!
NOTE: We may safely hold 100 people per service (six feet apart, masked.) It is helpful if you sign up online.
Sunday Morning WorshipEvery Sunday at 9:30am
During this pandemic, St. James is pleased to provide these Sunday Worship options:
1.) We have returned to our traditional worship schedule of one service at 9:30am in our beautiful sanctuary (no 11:00am service.)
- Maximum of 100 people. Online sign-up required via our online form: https://signup.com/go/JVKxRwx. Contact Karin Hatch if you have difficulty with the online form.
- Masks and social distancing will be required. Seating will be six feet apart.
Whether you sign-up online to physically attend in-person at St. James -- or you watch our video recording on your computer at home -- we invite you to join us for worship!
Jazz VespersThis month, the video of our Jazz Vespers Service is now available starting on Sunday, April 18th, when we welcome our featured guest John Moak on trombone.
Musical accompaniment by Mike Horsfall on piano, Laurent Nichol on bass, and Brent Follis on drums. Pastor David Knapp is the liturgist, and Valarie Griffiths Brown is the vocalist. We invite you to send a donation (offering) to help support our musicians during this pandemic. Until we resume our Jazz Vespers series in-person at St. James -- we hope you enjoy Jazz Vespers on video.
You can find links to all of our Jazz Vespers recordings by navigating to "Communications > Music" on the main navigation menu at the top of the page. Or you can click here to be linked directly to the "Music" page.
Our special guests for the May 16th Jazz Vespers will be guitarist Allila Csikos and vocalist Zsofia Csikos.
Rejoice and Give Thanks — Vaccine Fundraiser for Lutheran World Relief: April 5th – May 10th
As we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus on Easter, I can’t help but make the connection to a reopening after experiencing a year-long pandemic. The vaccine allows Americans the luxury of protection against this deadly virus. As Christians, we need to share the wealth. Many poorer nations do not have the resources to acquire vaccines. So, with the help of Lutheran World Relief, let’s help others gain access to this drug. The Endowment Fund has secured $5,000 in matching funds to support this cause. You can give through St. James and all funds collected will be matched up to $5,000. Together, St. James can give $10,000 or more to LWR to alleviate the suffering of others. We will collect the funds and give one big check to LWR on May 10th. Thank you.
—Mandy Ellertson, Council Vice President
Peter, Paul, and Mary. Pastor David’s 8 session recorded Bible Study concludes on Wednesday, April 7th, as we explore how Mary Magdalene saw Jesus. We mix the music of the 1960’s folk group with the biblical characters of Simon Peter, the Apostle Paul and Mary Magdalene. Access it here on our website.
Wednesday, April 7th: Easter Week Bible Study online — (“Mary and Easter: Must Be Present to Win”) — Mary was present at the empty tomb. Was Jesus resurrected bodily or spiritually? Was Mary, a female, the first Christian missionary who headed to France? Why didn’t that make it into your Bible? So as this study concludes, what do you think of Jesus?
Listen on Wednesday — with a Bible in hand — here on our St. James website:
Reformation of Joy: Staying Connected This Easter Season
Virtual Event Series: Rediscovering Fun & Community
Each event will run about 45 minutes
Sunday, April 18th, 11:00am
Fellowship & Bingo
Join members of the congregations for a time of fellowship and fun. Chelsea Kimmett and Lynn Warren will lead us through a virtual Bingo game! Simply log in to the Zoom meeting to join the game. Participants can play along using a digital bingo card, or can pick up a real bingo card from the church. Winners will receive a custom Martin Luther Beer Stein paired with your choice of beer or artisan soda!
Sunday, April 25th, 11:00am
Education & Lutheran Trivia
Join us virtually for Lutheran Trivia. Chelsea Kimmett and Lynn Warren will lead us through this game using the website Kahoot! Log in to the Zoom meeting and join the game online. You can also play along on your phone. (Don’t let the technology scare you, we will talk you through when you join the Zoom meeting!) Winners will receive a customized St. James Lutheran Tote Bag and Mask!
Sunday, May 2nd, 11:00am
Wellbeing & At Home Self-Care Crafting
Have you ever thought about making your self care products at home? Now you can with your fellow congregation members in this online afternoon social! Pick up your kits from the church starting April 25. Then join the live Zoom gathering and we will guide you through the process while we socialize! This is fun for all ages and requires no crafting skills!