"We share God's inclusive and eternal love with everyone!"
From Pastor David:
Welcome to this expression of St. James Lutheran Church. During this time when the pandemic does not allow us to meet physically, I hope you will:
- Gain hope through the readings, sermons and music each week on our “Sermons” page (click “Communications > Sermons” above.)
- Feel connected to others via our St. James Daily Email Devotions.
- Stay healthy and pray for others. Check on your neighbors. Support our Weekday and Tuesday evening meals for the houseless.
- Continue your financial support of our St. James ministry (click “E-Giving” above or drop a check in the mail.)
- Be inspired by the poetry and prayers listed on our “Reflections” page (click “Communications > Reflections” above.)
- Stay connected weekly via phone or email through our “St. James – Let’s Stay Connected” phone/email ministry. Our thanks to 14 St. James leaders who enjoy hearing your voice.
Welcome to the “front door” of St. James! This website will tell you that we are an over 300 member congregation of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). As a Reconciling In Christ church, we celebrate and welcome all races, cultures, ethnicities, sexual orientations and gender identities. Each Sunday we gather at 9:30am around a classic Lutheran liturgy, beautiful music and warm hospitality. We believe God is present as we gather and serve those in need beyond our doors.
Here’s how we share “God’s Inclusive Love:”
- Providing 122 units of low-income housing to those in need at our St. James Apartments
- Serving though our St. James Foot Care Ministry
- 130 children find a welcoming learning environment in our St. James Child Development Center
- Kids and adults explore Biblical stories that relate to daily life
- Bach Cantata Vespers, Jazz Vespers and Lutheran liturgy fill the air with music
- Pastoral care touches those at times of baptism, weddings, funerals and transition
- Feeding those on our streets each Tuesday and supporting Lutheran World Relief
- Following Christ on this site since 1890.
Join us, not to visit, but to be touched by God’s love.
Pastor David Knapp
From Pastor David and your St. James leaders:
ALL Sunday and Midweek Worship services HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED indefinitely.
NOTE: Please find Pastor David's current Sermon by navigating to Communications > Sermons on the main navigation menu at the top of the page. Or you can click here to be linked directly to the Sermons page.
Sunday Morning Worship with Holy CommunionEvery Sunday, 9:30am
Holy Communion in the Main Sanctuary with refreshments served in the Pioneer Chapel immediately following. Childcare provided 9:15am-12:15pm
Midweek EucharistEvery Wednesday, 12:00 Noon
We gather each Wednesday at Noon in the Pioneer Chapel for a half-hour Service of the Eucharist. Then, join Pastor David for Bible Study in the St. James Library at 12:30pm. So, please remember to attend on Wednesday: at Noon for Eucharist Worship in Pioneer Chapel; and then at 12:30pm in the Library for Pastor’s Bible Study.
Jazz VespersSunday, June 21st, 5:00pm will feature Haley Horsfall on vocals & percussion, with Mike Horsfall on vibes.
Arrive at 4:50 for pre-Vespers music when Haley will be joined by our St. James house band: Mike Horsfall, piano; Laurent Nickel, bass; Brent Follis, drums; and Valarie Brown, cantor. Vespers service starts at 5:00pm. Freewill offering welcome. Come with friends!
Weather and WorshipSt. James will not cancel worship services due to inclement weather. If the streets look too bad, please don’t risk it. But if you come, we’ll be here with the doors open.
“Do not be afraid, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.”
ALL Sunday and Midweek Worship services and most ministry gatherings HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED indefinitely.
We want you to REMAIN HEALTHY during these uncertain times. We hope that by restricting group activities we will be able to REACH OUT IN LOVE to those near our homes.
At St. James we will:
-Feed the houseless Weekdays at 12:30pm and each Tuesday at 6:30pm in the Park Blocks.
-Take precautions to stay healthy ourselves.
-Pray for others and stay connected with those in need around us.
-Publish weekday St. James Daily Email Devotions from Pastor David.
-Provide pastoral care for those dealing with anxiety.
-Offer sermons or Biblical reflections for daily living on this site.
-Work with residents in need at our St. James Apartments.
-Encourage all to support this ministry by donating electronically or by mail.
-Stay connected with each St. James member weekly via phone or email through our “St. James – Let’s Stay Connected” phone/email ministry. Our thanks to 14 St. James leaders who enjoy hearing your voice.